We are THRILLED to announce that, finally, we are “full steam ahead” at Black Pearl Farm
Black Pearl is a boutique farm (18 acres, 14 stables + indoor) on the outskirts of Lexington Kentucky, not far from the wonderful Kentucky Horse Park, the Universities and the world’s best equine surgeries.
We host Paris Vaulting, lessons, clinics and lectures, and welcome visitors and guests throughout the year for training both in biomechanics, and also horses coming in for both problem horse training and higher level competitive training as well.
Interns are very involved in the day’s activities, often coming with us to local events, and attending all the clinics and presentations here at Black Pearl. We are a family-orientated venue, and very much include our interns as “part of the family”, rather than just a workforce to be “used”. We believe in “giving back” just as much as the interns give us in return.
Daily duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Grooming & working horses. Presenting (or learning to) present horses to competition standard
- Helping with (or learning) the most important aspect of a horse business: administration, marketing, office work, social media, and help with the International Symposium for the International Society of Rider Biomechanics held here in Lexington KY each year
- Stable cleaning, maintenance & upkeep
- General farm maintenance as expected in a normal intern position
- Horse husbandry, care and minor veterinary treatment where required
Position One: Live-In
This is not a salaried position, however the significant package structure includes:
- five free lessons per week (averaged)
- free board for your horse (feed needs to be provided by intern)
- free live-in accommodation
- free meals
- free utilities, power, water, heating/air/trash etc.
- full attendance at the Level 1 Teacher Training Clinic including registration as an Official ISRB Coach.
- full attendance at all Black Pearl Farm Clinics, such as the Ride to Music Night.
Position Two: Live Out – Full or Part Time
Ideally suited for a local rider, this could be either a full or part time position, similar to the position listed above. We would negotiate a similar kind of package to compensate for the number of hours you can give us, in return the number of hours of training we can give you. We are very negotiable to fit in with your plans, especially if you are working, or you are at University here in Lexington.
Applicants need to be experienced riders with great references. We are super-hard workers and high achievers. This is no “9 to 5” kind of position. We put in a long day, but get such remarkable rewards, with the world’s best training – all for free!
Often you will find that grooms are exactly that…grooms. Little opportunity is ever given for advancement or training. But, Black Pearl is different. We WANT you to succeed. We WANT you to leave as a fully registered Official ISRB Coach, and we will do everything we can to make sure you reach your dreams, as well as helping us in return as well.
You will need to have some administrative experience, or the ability to learn very quickly, as helping with emails and administrative tasks is a BIG part of both positions. Running a farm is not just about playing with horses all day long, it’s the ‘behind the scenes’ work that keeps it going: marketing, emails, admin and keeping good records and accounts that is the difference between a successful long-term viable business and one that simply does not succeed.
We are happy for overseas riders to apply, however your visa status is highly important, and will be checked as part of your application.
We are also happy for short-term applicants (3 months minimum) to apply.
We are a fun group of people, hard working, high achieving, where you will be 100% involved in every aspect of the horse business…and…hopefully, if successful, be able to leave as an Official ISRB Level 1 Registered Coach after training with us.
Email your application, resume & references to:
Colleen Kelly Email: firstname.lastname@example.org